Starting a blog begins with getting your website on the Internet – if you need help with this step, see my easy 3 Step Guide to Starting a Blog HERE!
The next thing you need to do is create content that will earn you an income (for example, see my Income Reports HERE)
When it comes down to it, content is king in the blogosphere. If you have creative ideas and original content, everything else will fall into place. Without this key component, however, you’ll find yourself swimming upstream.
Here are my tips to creating content your readers will love and ~importantly~ will earn you money!
1. Find Inspiration
One of my favorite things to do when brainstorming a new project is turn to a place with boundless inspiration: Pinterest.
I do have a special strategy for approaching Pinterest for blogging inspiration – Pin with a Purpose.
Logging onto Pinterest without specific goals in mind is sort of like falling down a rabbit hole. You eventually come back to reality and it’s been 6 hours since you started pinning. Don’t let this happen to you.
Instead start pinning with a specific goal. Mine is always something like “I want to find the top 5 most popular Christmas crochet pins to inspire my upcoming Christmas project.”
Once I find those 5 pins, I stop and log my findings.
I write down several things:
- What were the themes of those pins?
- What was the photography like?
- What do I think made them so popular?
- How can I incorporate these findings into what I create?
- use your social media accounts often
- follow some prominent bloggers similar to you
- watch Pinterest for trends
- look at your favorite stores’ promotions – what colors, styles, and textures do they feature?
- keep up with popular things in the DIY scene